This weekend was a whirlwind of emotions for everyone involved. Before I get too far intoTHAT, I’ll rewind to Thursday, and get you all caught up.

Thursday: Two Days Out

As soon as I was out of class, I hauled butt home to begin shaving and using my Hair Away by Muscle Up. Knowing I had tested the product on myself before with no signs of an allergic reaction, I thought I was safe. However, knowing what I know now thanks to pharmacology, it takes TWO exposures to an allergen for your body to have a reaction to it. I applied the cream to my entire body beginning with my legs and working my way up. By the time I had covered everything from my feet to my neck I knew the ten minute time limit was up so I began wiping away the salve from the bottom up as I had applied it. By the time I made it to my chest and arms, my neck began burning. BAD. I quickly wiped away what I could on my neck and rinsed any residue from my neck, but the burning sensation progressively got worse. I got out of the shower to discover that my neck and chest were red, puffy, and tender to the touch. I was nearly in tears with the pain of the burn, and I was terrified that I wouldn’t be able to go to my tanning appointment later that night if the swelling didn’t go down soon. To top it all off, I had a pharmacology exam in less than two hours and I was in a panic to get the pain to subside before my exam. I quickly took some Zyrtec (I didn’t have any Benadryl available- I don’t have allergies to anything else).

The damage

I made it to my exam, finished it two hours later, and picked up some Benadryl on the way home. Once home, I took two Benadryl and packed my belongings into my car to make the drive to Katy. I arrived around 10 pm at my tanning pro’s house, and she was already aware of my neck situation. We were able to complete the first layer of my spray tan, including my face, in under 30 minutes. Check out Brittnay’s Bronze Beauties on Instagram and Facebook if you need a tanner in Houston!

My tan progression and the final product! 

All day from start to finish, I had a total of half a gallon of distilled water to drink, and I ate 2 oz of chicken with 1/3 cup white and 1/3 cup brown rice ever 2-3 hours. John had to go pick up a diuretic for me at a supplement store in Katy per my trainer’s request; even with the water withdrawal I seemed to still be holding on to a substantial amount of water. I was warned that I would pee like crazy on this particular diuretic… Nope. No more than normal actually. So, I’m not sure if the “water” I was retaining was really just fat, or if I needed a larger dose of diuretic. Either way, I have some tweaks to make in my pre-competition plan.

Tips for Tanning That No One Told Me:

  1. Yes, you have to be completely naked for this process, so make sure you’re comfortable with the pro you’re working with. Some women get tanned by male tanners, but I’m more comfortable working with female professionals.
  2. DO NOT WEAR UNDERWEAR OR A BRA UNTIL AFTER COMPETITION ONCE YOU’VE BEEN TANNED, EVEN IF IT’S ONLY THE FIRST LAYER! I thought I was safe to wear a bra for a brief period after my skin had soaked up all the tan 24-48 hours later… I was wrong.
  3. I recommend wearing tie-waist (not elastic) scrub pants (they are lint free and loose) and a button up shirt after tanning. Definitely use a button up shirt later when you get your hair and make up done on competition day.
  4. Whatever you do, don’t burn trying to get your base tan! Spread it out over a long period of time (about 1-2 months) once every 5-7 days for no more than 15 minutes at a time. Be sure to get EVERY INCH of your body with tanning lotion. The parts of me that burned are the spots I missed with lotion.
  5. Get your nails done before your tan. It’s easier to wipe the tan off your nails after they’re done than to keep polish on once you’ve tanned.
What happens when you burn and then get a spray tan. Don’t be like me. My pro tanner, Brittnay, was wonderful enough to send touch up cream with me for this very reason.

Friday : One Day Out

I met with my trainer at 7:30 am for a little pre-show evaluation, including another InBody. In case I haven’t already told you before, the InBody is a total body evaluation of your body fat mass, body fat percentage, muscle mass, and muscle mass distribution. My first InBody on October 18, 2015 gave me the following statistics:

  • Basal metabolic rate: 1275 kcal
  • Weight: 115.9 lbs
  • Total body water: 67.7 lbs
  • Dry lean mass: 24.7 lbs
  • Body fat mass: 23.5 lbs
  • Lean body mass: 92.4 lbs
  • Skeletal muscle mass: 50.7 lbs
  • BMI: 20.9 kg/m2
  • Percent body fat: 20.3%
  • Right arm: 4.61 lbs/108.7%
  • Left arm: 4.50 lbs/106.3%
  • Trunk: 40.8 lbs/105.9%
  • Right leg: 13.05 lbs/97.4%
  • Left leg: 13.25 lbs/98.9%

My latest InBody gave me the following:

  • Basal metabolic rate: 1256 kcal
  • Weight: 115.5 lbs
  • Total body water: 66.1 lbs
  • Dry lean mass: 24.3 lbs
  • Body fat mass:25.1 lbs
  • Lean body mass: 90.4 lbs
  • Skeletal muscle mass: 49.6 lbs
  • BMI: 20.8
  • Percent body fat: 21.6%
  • Right arm: 4.32 lbs/102.4%
  • Left arm: 4.37 lbs/103.8%
  • Trunk: 39.7 lbs/103.6%
  • Right leg: 12.77 lbs/95.6%
  • Left leg: 12.99 lbs/97.2%

So, what does this all mean? Well, pretty much only two values that declined were good, my weight and my total body water. The body part distribution (right arm, left arm, trunk, etc.) is represented as the mass of muscle on that body segment and the percentage of muscle compared to my ideal body weight. Surprisingly, my arms are on fleek, whereas my legs are as my trainer puts it “behind schedule”. We originally wanted my lean body mass up around 95 lbs and my body fat percentage close to 15%. Obviously, my body didn’t agree with plan according to the InBody assessment. We know I got leaner visually, but the InBody says otherwise. So, I’m having my trainer measure my body fat manually using calipers to confirm/deny the InBody’s results.

Other than the InBody on Friday, I posed and had pictures taken for my trainer to use for deciding on my meal plan for Saturday. I also had Friday off from working out which was my first day off in at least four weeks.

After meeting with my trainer, I went back to John’s for breakfast (chicken and rice) and a nap before I went back to my tanner’s house for the remaining two tan applications. John and I left Katy at 3 pm, and we made it to Waxahachie for check-ins between 6:30 and 7 pm. We didn’t have an athlete’s meeting, so John and I made it to Prosper (where my parents live and where we were staying) by 8:30 to be with my family.

The infamous Aggie Barn outside of Waco. Whoop!

Saturday: Competition Day

I was up at 5 am to have breakfast (chicken and rice) at 5:30 and get my make up done at 6. My mom’s friend is a wonderful make up artist! If anyone in the north Dallas area needs a reasonably priced and experienced make up artist for an event let me know and I can pass on her information!

John and I arrived at the Waxahachie Civic Center by 8 am for check-ins and my number pick up. We found a hide out spot with a friend of mine who also competed in bikini for the next few hours. I straightened and styled my hair at the venue on the floor in the hall way. Vanity space in the green room/bathroom was limited, so I did what I could with what I had. Note to self: Clip in extensions are great, but hiding the clips in thin fine hair is a struggle. Keeping them in is even harder. I think I was the only competitor on stage in my class that chose to straighten my hair- my hair doesn’t hold curls very well. The novice bikini division was the second to last division to go on stage for pre-judging around 12 pm. I was in the shortest class (Class A) with ten girls total; our entire division consisted of 30 girls total with three height classes. When our division was called to the “pump up room” backstage, competitors lined up for their “glaze” (oil coat to make you shine on stage) but I brought my own to save time. The competition did not provide weights or resistance bands for competitors to use, so I’m glad I brought my own. I practiced posing for a while before even going into the pump up room, so I didn’t practice right before going on stage. Most of the girls in my class (and the division) were cross competing in the open bikini division as well as novice for the experience. This was the first show for a lot of competitors, so we were all nervous and exhausted.

The show order.

We filed on stage individually and had about 10-20 seconds to make it through our posing routines. Then, the first 4-5 of us were set up for comparisons and filed off to the side for the remainder of the competitors to go through their comparisons. Next, first call outs were made; this is when the top four of that class are called forward for comparisons. I didn’t make first call out, but for second call out,  I was switched with the girl to my left which could mean I placed 5th in my class. I’m still not sure of my results because they haven’t been posted online yet. Sad, I know. It’s KILLING me!

After pre-judging, we had about 5 hours to kill before having to be back at the venue for finals. So, my family and I drove to a local restaurant where I promptly ate… my chicken and rice. I actually had to excuse myself from the restaurant because the server put hot fresh rolls in front of me; it was a little much for me at the moment. I was an emotional wreck because I didn’t make first call out and everyone was asking why I looked depressed. Yes, I was incredibly disappointed that I didn’t make first call out, but it was a valuable learning experience and it served as motivation for me to kill it at my next competition.

At finals, we were individually called on stage by our names and we got to complete our posing routine again for the sold out crowd. After the tope three competitors in my class were called, I left. John and I packed up, said goodbye to our new friends, and headed to iHop for my epic french toast destruction.

So, What Now?

Currently, I’m off my diet until Sunday. I should be making the decision on my next show date this weekend with the help of my trainer. It’s really hard to pick right now because I’m not sure what critique the judges had for me. I know what I want to change and what I want to improve, but I want to make sure what I want lines up with what the judges want as well.

As soon as contest pictures and results are up, I promise I’ll share them in a new post! I also have new work outs that from this week I’ll be sharing with you!


Thank Yous!

I just want to thank every single person that has supported me and cheered me on from the get go. This journey has taken a lot out of me but I’m definitely not done; I have competition fever. Thank you to my coaches, my family, my friends- you are the most incredible cheer squad ever! Thank you to Heather and Charlotte for your little pieces of encouragement from afar! John already knows how much he is loved- I can’t wait to be his cheerleader and pack mule at his first strongman competition. My sisters, Lauren and Ryan- thank you both for being so positive and supportive and for bringing my nieces along for the ride! My parents underestimate how much they are loved and how much it meant to me that they were there to see the progress I’ve made and the confidence I’ve gained since August (keep in mind, no one in my family has gotten to see me in a swimsuit or seen my progress pictures so my time on stage was truly my big reveal- they didn’t even know what color my suit was).

Have any questions about my experience? Let me know!

Happy lifting!